Monday, March 24, 2008

THE MONOTONY
I walk into work, sit at my desk, turn on the red lamp, log on to my computer, sip on my coffee, and wait for Outlook to pop up on my screen. These are the last moments of silence for the rest of the day. After this it’s emails, phone calls, meetings, checking To Do’s off my list, and before I know it, I’ve been swept up into this exciting whirlwind of busyness. Suddenly, the end of the day is here and it’s time to go. Already? Uh oh. Wait! Where was God in my job today? I forgot to make Him the focus of my day!

THE EPIPHANY
What if I were to pray specifically about my work, at my desk, before I start each work day? Instead of savoring those first few moments of silence to myself, I could share them with God. Think about it: if we spend approximately 8 hours a day at our job, which is 1/3 of our life, then should not the content of our prayer reflect that? What could happen in my job and the way I interact with my co-workers if 1/3 of my prayer life was devoted to talking to God about it?

THE TEST
I decided to try it. This past Wednesday I came into work early while no one else was here, sat at my desk before opening email, and proceeded to pray out loud. That time with God was rejuvenating and for the first time in a while, I truly gave to God the place He deserved in my work day. I felt lighter and more free to do my part and to let God handle the rest.

THE CHALLENGE
For the next 2 weeks, I’m challenging myself to come into work early and pray specifically for my job. When I say “pray,” I mean undistracted, protected time with Christ at my desk when no one else is around. I’ll pray over myself, my co-workers, my company, the projects I’m working on, and over those with whom I’ll come into contact.

COLOSSIANS 3:17, 23-24
”And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”

No comments: